We are looking for an experienced, pro-active, commercially driven Legal Counsel with a proven track record, who would like to join the Legal & Compliance team at STX Group USA. The ideal candidate is someone who is very excited about the idea of working within a dynamic, driven and international environment on a broad range of legal matters with the main focus on (international) commercial contracts.
The world is rapidly transitioning from a fossil-fuel based economy towards a renewable and sustainable economy. In order to expedite this transition, a number of certificate/quota systems have been established and STX is positioned at the center of this movement. This originator will be joining a team of established market leaders in both certificates and physical products.
Given that the environmental commodity markets are largely driven by regulation, our global sales and trading team has a profound knowledge of legislation that we provide to our extensive client base. All of our trading counterparties will be increasingly exposed to environmental regulation between 2020 and 2030. Furthermore, public pressure is accelerating the voluntary demand for products related to Corporate Social Responsibility. The US market is becoming more integrated and the link with the European environmental commodity markets is expected to intensify.
As Legal Counsel you will support the Legal & Compliance team on their various activities such as reviewing, drafting and negotiating various types of contracts; maintaining direct contact with our traders/brokers on contracts and other commercial matters, ensuring compliance with applicable laws and (internal) regulations; corporate housekeeping and more generally be part of a growing support team in a rapidly growing business.
- Supporting our traders but also all other departments with reviewing drafting and negotiating various (international) commercial contracts
- Providing legal advice to the business on a broad range of legal matters
- Making sure that legal information and documentation is kept up-to-date and available in our legal database
- US Law degree
- 3 years’ plus experience as an in-house legal counsel in a commercial business environment or in a private practice
- Proven experience with drafting and reviewing commercial contracts
- Experience in the (renewables or financial) trading industry is considered an advantage
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- International mindset, sense of intercultural understanding, open-minded
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Flexible with a hands-on approach
- Fluent in English, command of Spanish is considered a big plus
- Living in the area of New York City or open to relocate
Compensation & benefits
- Fringe benefits, e.g. healthcare (medical, dental, vision), 401K
- Competitive remuneration package;
- Professional and international working environment;
- Working in a fast-paced company;
- Strong focus on personal and professional development.